CLEANACCESS Archives

October 2005

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Michael Grinnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2005 15:08:11 -0400
Cal,
Here's a list of the keys that we're checking for Mozilla.  The ones
for Firefox are almost the same, but it seems that Mozilla is
problematic (see below).

Checks
regMozillaExists
HKLM\SOFTWARE\mozilla.org\Mozilla\        exists

fileMozillaExists
SYSTEM_PROGRAMS\mozilla.org\Mozilla\mozilla.exe            exists

regMozillaCurrent
HKLM\SOFTWARE\mozilla.org\Mozilla\CurrentVersion    string    starts
with    1.7.12

Rules
MozillaNeedsUpdate (Version 1)
!regMozillaExists | (regMozillaExists & regMozillaCurrent)

MozillaNeedsUpdate (Version 2)
!(regMozillaExists & fileMozillaExists) | (regMozillaExists &
fileMozillaExists & regMozillaCurrent)

The problem is, some versions of Thunderbird sometimes, but not
always, create a HKLM\SOFTWARE\mozilla.org\Mozilla\CurrentVersion
key.  Depending on the version of Thunderbird installed, this could
be wildly out of date, and so version 1 of the rule makes them
install Mozilla when they didn't have it installed before.

Unlike Firefox, Mozilla does not create a generic key in HKLM\SOFTWARE
\Mozilla\  that you can test to see if it's installed.

I'm testing version 2 of the rule on some of my coworkers right now
to see what happens.

Michael Grinnell
Network Security Administrator
The American University