CLEANACCESS Archives

July 2005

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"King, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:30:52 -0400
Three features that I "REALLY" enjoy on 3.5.2.1

Concept of DNS based allow's  (You put in update.microsoft.com, and
that's it)
Auto Updating Agent.
You can see which specific CHECK (on the server) that clients failed.
(As opposed to the whole rule)

On the subject of Failover.

The ARP storm thing, Did you Disable Spanning Tree?  It sounds like the
ports were losing contact and cycling up and down.

HA on the Manager (and the Server as Well)
	 HA only does basic checking on the system itself.  Not on the
Health of the system.  Big distinction there.
That means, if the database daemon on the primary server dies, the
Secondary HA pair WILL NOT take over, because the HA is only checking
the status of the box.

It's better to think of it as a warm spare that has an upto the second
database replication.  If your primary physically died, the secondary
would take over in less than a minute. (usually 20 seconds for me)
However, if your Primary is still up, but some software componet of the
Perfigo process dies, the primary Will NOT failover.  However, You can
manaually fail over to the secondary, thereby restablishing network
connectivity very quickly, and allows you time to diagnose the problem
on the Primary.