CLEANACCESS Archives

October 2005

CLEANACCESS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
John Stauffacher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Oct 2005 14:38:21 -0700
Well put. I think Eric has summed up the frustrations most of us have
felt -- and not just with the AV detection (its a lot better now than it
was [i.e. McAfee Online != McAfee Enterprise]), but with the client side
issues as well. I don't know who is steering the boat at Cisco with
regards to this product, the Cisco people I spoke with at Educause
seemed oblivious about its current lack of any level of quality control,
yet Cisco was heavily pushing it with their whole Campus Secure platform.

IMHO with Bradford's advances towards being totally switch agnostic, and
the fact that this place will never be a full cisco shop -- we might
just be re-evaluating CCA as a sollution. I don't want to,  I went
through great pains with Perfigo to get the system working -- but I
don't think our IS dept can take another vicious brow beating because an
update of CCA rules, or an update of the client, or an update of the AV
detection broke some (read: alot) user(s)' machine(s). Its a very
delicate political spot to be in -- students pay money, they expect a
quality of service, they expect certain things. When they don't get it
-- it makes life hard on the rest of us.

I know Rajesh has been pretty active on conveying our thoughts for
future development, but what about current stable development. Is anyone
at Cisco (other than rajesh) reading this list, and can they provide us
with any explination as to why this stuff isn't being caught in some QA
cycle somewhere? We shouldnt be beta testers!

--
John Stauffacher, CISSP
Network Administrator