CLUBTENNIS Archives

April 2018

CLUBTENNIS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Sammud Sharma <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sammud Sharma <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2018 00:11:55 -0400
Hey guys,

Here is the link to the election on the HUB. It’s open from now until 11:45pm on Wednesday night. Make sure you read each candidate’s qualifications and ideas below to make the best decision you can!

https://muhub.campuslabs.com/engage/submitter/election/start/177987

Presidential Candidates:

Gabby Verdin is the only candidate as she should be. She already has and will continue to do an incredible job handling this club.

Vice Presidential Candidates:

Akhil Kanagaraj:
First I want to update the constitution. There should be transition binders.
Besides aiding the president with their duties, I will make it a priority to include and provide opportunities for non-traveling embers to play and make the most of their dues and membership this coming year. Hopefully, there will be mini-tournaments and practice schedules for them, maybe on Sundays. Maybe payers not a part of the club can play by paying a small fee,i.e our tournament fees will be part of the 60 dollars and we will be using Withrow so there is no actual cost to us.
I will also work to make challenges holistic and organized, especially for doubles and mixed by setting up regular tournaments and matches every two to three weeks to find the best team.
The current team should not be changed unless someone is losing consistently - for example, I played Nick only once before regionals this semester as a challenge when I should have played singles/doubles against him at least twice in those first two weeks.
Players should be penalized for not showing up to challenge matches without due notice.

Nick Ruth:
I would like to run for the position of Vice President of Club Tennis. As I am entering my Junior year I have been involved in this program for the past 2 years attending nearly all of the tournaments this club has participated in. Why is this important? Because I understand at a deep level how this club is run and functions on a day to day as well as big picture level. This past year I served as the Treasurer of the team and handled all of the financial responsibilities involved with the club such as making sure we had funding for hotels, transportation, and almost most important, tennis balls! As treasurer I obtained an even deeper level of what it takes to run this National Level organization. My vision for next year as VP is to obviously improve the club in the direction that it appeals more members to join. I believe the first real step of this is swag that every member gets of high quality. As the school is sponsored by adidas, I don't see why we can't speak with the managers of our Division 1 teams to obtain apparel at a reasonable price. The second thing I believe we do is advertise a ride-sharing program more heavily. Although it was beta tested this year, we need to get more people to practice for a longer time throughout the year. Finally, I suggest that we practice on the Wilson courts somedays. Although the courts are not as high of quality as the Varsity courts, it could give other members an easier chance to get to practice and drive our participation rates up! Thank you for your consideration!

Treasurer Candidates:

Nayana Ravishankar:
I think I would be a good fit for the position of treasurer because I am a finance and accounting double major, so I have a strong interest in finances and how they can impact and develop our club. I’m also currently finance assistant in my sorority where I assist the finance vice president with financial needs of our chapter like handling budgets and other additional finances. Club tennis has made a major impact on my past two years at Miami, and I’d love to make my contribution as treasurer to help develop the club and increase positive experiences for all members. Thank you!

Akhil Kanagaraj:
Will look to find money for two teams to go to nearby tournaments/  more players for sectionals nationals depending on the need for that semester. The fall would have more teams and fewer tournaments and the spring would mainly have more tournaments.
 Will set up a GoFundMe to get money from parents and alumni.

Safety Officer Candidates:

Brett Schubert:
Hey guys! Running for Safety Officer. I have held this position for the second year now. I’m a kinesiology major and I’m certified in everything required and more. I have a strong background in dealing with injuries and recognizing signs of important issues such as Heat Exhaustion to stop a player before they take gameplay too far. I take this job very seriously and am passionate about making sure everyone is safe and healthy, and would love to continue to provide that for our club. Re-elect me and remember that Brett’s way is the safe way. I may not be safe on the court myself, but I do a good job at keeping everyone else safe. Enjoy the rest of your day :)

Akhil Kanagaraj:
Will get CPR certified during the summer so there will be two of us at least. Since I will not be present at one or two practices due to class I will need someone else to show up on those days tho

Ellen Hata:
Hey guys, I'm Ellen and I'd like to run to be your Safety Officer! I've been on the team since my freshman year and also feel that I have a lot of experience with the interworkings of the club. Vote for me because I want to keep you guys safe :)

Media Liaison Candidates:

Akhil Kanagaraj:
I can post stuff on Instagram and the Weebly if it's still alive. We should have member and Exec features.

Haley Thoresen:
Hi guys! My name Haley and I am currently a Junior here at Miami studying Geology! I have been a part of the team since my freshman year and it has by far been the best part of my college experience! I would love to be your Media liaison because social media is the best way to get the word out, no only about how great of a club this is but how we do in tournaments. I would love to start a group-me with everyone in the club so people can branch out and meet new people (there are a lot of people in this club so it can be a bit overwhelming). There also needs to be MORE team bonding events, and social media is a great way to get the word out. Thank you!

Best,
Sam