CONNELLS Archives

July 1998

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Steven Cain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 09:49:00 EDT
I have to line up behind Stacee on this one.  If one is looking to
The Connells for dark, grim, heavy, Gothic or thrashing music --
you're looking in the wrong place.  Introspective, yes.  Serious,
yes.  Thought-provoking, yes.  But not heavy.

*Still Life* is a return to the band's classic sound, and it represents
best what they are trying to achieve musically.  It stands a better
chance of putting them in the spotlight than any album (like WFAD)
that mainly misrepresents what they are all about.  WFAD has several
great aspects to it, but it was not typical Connells.  They would never
be able to sustain a mood like that, and if they tried, they would
only end up disappointing everyone -- both the fans of the classic
sound and the fans of the heavy sound.