CONNELLS Archives

June 1998

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Ethan Straffin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 17:28:59 -0700
Caroline,
> Another reason that I am posting this is because I want to know if any of
> you have heard of these other bands, and which ones are worth checking out.
> I will be working there almost all day but can take off to see any of the
> bands... Thanks for your help! :)

Wow, I hadn't even heard about this.  I may just have to try and get
tickets for Sunday, seeing as how I have no other plans that day, apart
from recovering from the hangover that's likely to ensue once my friends
get done with me at my birthday party the night before.  Hey, maybe a
little Guinness "hair of the dog" would be just the thing.  :)

So I assume you're familiar with Chapman and O'Connor.  If you don't know
Billy Bragg or Richard Thompson, I can recommend them as well.  I wasn't
all that thrilled with Bragg's latest album, but he's still one of the
more astute folk singers out there, and he should put on a pretty fun
show.  And Thompson's pretty much a genius in my book.

> (I will without a doubt be checking out the Dubs and the Devlins..)

I've seen the Devlins a few times now, opening for Sarah McLachlan and
later for Paula Cole.  I felt like they had a ways to go before they were
writing the kinds of songs that stay with you the way Our Heroes' do, but
they're definitely worth checking out if you happen to be in the vicinity
anyway.

A few other familiar names on that list, but nobody else I feel the urge
to rave about.

> Now, don't all scream Chumbawamba at once!! :)

Don't worry, I won't.  :)

Ethan