CONNELLS Archives

April 1996

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 1996 15:49:08 -0500
Hi gang--

I want to thank those of you who came out for the free concert at GMU.
First I want to apologize to those who got lost on their way here.  Sorry
about that; I'm horrible with giving directions.  Anyway, I had an
amazing time!  For those of you who were there, I was the one with the
long red hair behind the right side speakers having an absolute blast!

The band arrived at 2 pm.  My fellow marshals and I actually chilled with
the band for a while before and after the show.  Peele didn't really stay
in the "green room;" for the most part he hung out outside with the crowd
and talked to just about everyone who stopped him and fiddled with his
drums.  Doug is by far the most laid back person I have ever met (fyi his
girlfriend is from Norfolk, VA).  According to him, the album is due out
_officially_ in July, but like y'all said, who knows?  They finished
recording it last summer!  George is sporting some kind of crazy beard
thing (he told me what it was, but I don't remember)--it looks good.  His
mellow voice gives me chills.  Anyway, also fyi, Doug's fav album of
theirs is Ring and Mike's is Boylan Heights.  My friend Karen pointed out
that Mike bounces like Dave Matthews when he plays.  Anyone else notice
that?  Mike probably did it before Dave...

The show was great, blue skies, warm weather, and an enthusiastic crowd.
Yes, the sorority girls were out in full swing.  My friend Carl (one of
the Events Production/bouncer guys) got a busted knee from this one girl
who was on top of him the whole time.  Cops threatened Dave (the manager)
that they were going to shut the show down if the beer didn't stop
flowing (when DOESN'T that happen?).  Anyway, the Connells did play a
great mix of old and new stuff.  The new stuff is definitely a little
heavier, but is a great upper.  The band told us they had a great time,
despite the average numbers in the crowd. They even considered coming over
to my friend's place for some beers.
However, about an hour after the concert was over they headed back to
Chapel Hill to rest before their concert in Chicago on Friday.  According
to Peele, Doug, and Dave the manager, the group is long overdue for
another concert in the Hampton Roads/Va Beach area.  Maybe this summer,
they said.  I had them sign my Mason Week shirt and a CD cover.  Everyone
is right when they say the Connells are just average joes having some fun.

Once again, thanks to those who came out for the event!  I have to give
credit to Mason students Dawn Gurganious, Missy Rentz, Carl Tews, and
Dawn Shieferdecker for coordinating Mason Week.

Kerri Burnette
[log in to unmask] OR [log in to unmask]