CONNELLS Archives

October 1996

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Matthew Freeman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 1996 15:23:38 -0400

> Anyway, the reason I say this is because the reason bands tour is to
> support the album (read:  spur album sales and develop fan base).  Since
> this is the way they make a living, and TECHNICALLY speaking, trading is
> really a gray area of copyright violation, I think we should make an
> honest attempt to support bands by buying what they have for sale.
>
> Later
> John Davidson

I hate to seem picky, but not all bands tour to support their albums.
Look at bands like Phish and the Dead.  The way they made their living
was by playing concerts, not album sales.  There is a wonderful article
about Phish in a recent Life magazine, that has qoutes from the record
label (Elektra), the band, and the fans about taping, aslbums, etc.
Obviously the record label wanted to stop taping to boost album sales,
(their highest selling album to date is Hoist with 375,000 sold) but the
band refused.  Last year they were in the top 10 highest grossing concert
acts of the year, and yet none of their albums have even gone gold.  And
you know what?  The band couldnt care less.  Anyway, the point to all
this is that I don't feel bad about tape trading ifd a band allows
taping.  I don't buy bootlegs, never have never will as this is copyright
infirngement, people making money off of someone elses' work.  I support
the bands I like by going to their concerts and buying the album ONLY IF I
like it.  Anyway, enough pointless rambling,
Matthew