CONNELLS Archives

March 1997

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Erica Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 1997 02:54:42 -0500
Hey....
 I'm curious. Keith's post on his intro to the Connells marks the second time
I've seen someone post that they initially had a tough time locating a copy
of Darker Days. I forget who was the other post-er of this, but was Connell
stuff available originally only on the east coast? TVT hasn't been/isn't a
Sony, so I'm sure their ploy was to sell where the Connell's touring base
was; make a sure profit without much risk probably. But you would think they
would have wanted to try to push a new hot band into other areas, especially
during the 80's when all this popular stuff was coming out of lots of
southern areas (read: Athens).
  Keith, you're out in Ohio, right? To those further west, what's
availability out there? I just found this interesting. Oddly enough, I'm in
upstate NY. East coast, few hours from NYC, the band has played here often.
But when I recently set out to get all 6 albums, it was almost impossible. I
tried two small chain stores (unsure of how far the reach of Record Towns and
Strawberries carries), and an indie store here that usually carries
everything hard to find. (Thankfully, two out of three carried WFAD.) The
only other one I could find was Ring in the indie store. THEN, being that I
work at a Barnes & Noble superstore, I checked out our music section. They
had all 6, including the New Boy EP; but we have a very hip staff. And the
search for bootlegs has had me calling anywhere between Albany and Vienna,
VA, to no avail. (What's up with that? Have others found this to be the case?
I mean, it could be that people just don't tape shows; but I find that
strange esp. with such a dedicated following as the Connells have. BTW,
anyone with a decent store source for boots or imports of Connells, please
email me PRIVATELY. I don't know about the rest of the country, but this, not
big issues like a state budget issued on time, seems to be very important up
here New York way. Stores all over NYC have been getting busted because of
info from the internet. Thanks.)
   Is it this hard elsewhere? I mean, upstate NY isn't a mecca for music
beyond cover bands, but being fairly close to Boston and NYC, alot of stuff
makes it way up here. But if I had a tough time, I can't imagine what
Nebraska would be like.
 Any thoughts??

Procrastinating homework.....Erica