CONNELLS Archives

August 1996

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Ryan C. Hayward" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 1996 23:09:10 -0400
> Does anyone else think that Doug's voice sounds just a bit different from
> album to album, or is it me?  For example, it seems that on One Simple Word,
> he belts out some of the songs, while he retains more of an even keel on
> Ring.  I think he shows a grittier side to his voice, or at least puts an
> edge to it, on many of the tracks on the new album.

        I agree on Doug's voice.  I think that someone posted something a
while back about how on OSW he was being pressured to sing in a more
strained manner.  Personally, I like the effect, but I think it's one of
the reasons that a lot of fans (and I've heard it said even the Connells
themselves) don't like OSW as much.  On Ring, he has more of an
even keel, but I think his singing is far more expressive than on WFaD.
On this album it sounds as though he's singing much more within
himself... lower than he usually does, and much more laid back.  On
Darker Days, he sounds like a completely different person.  His voice is
certainly very distinctive, but he does seem to mix up the style from
album to album.
        In general, I was slightly disappointed to hear them relying more
on chords to drive their songs rather than the more traditional leads...
now that I've listened to it a couple of times, I'm starting to like it
more.  I think there are some very good songs, but also some slightly
suspect ones (Adjective Song.)  What does everyone think of George's
song?

                        -Ryan