CONNELLS Archives

October 1995

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Adrienne Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 1995 23:09:06 -0400
>Sender:       The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
>Poster:       Jay Pasquantonio <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Now for something completely different...
>
>          I find it hard to strictly rank
>the Connell's albums in order from best to worst.

I agree, there's something about each of their albums that gives it a reason
to be my favourite, but if I had to, I think I'd choose One Simple Word
first, Boylan Heights and Ring tied for second, and Fun & Games third.  (as
for Darker Days, well, it's a tough one to find way up here in Canada, so
I'm on a quest for it).  It's hard to say why I chose them in this order,
I've got favourite songs on all of them, but OSW just seems, to me, the most
well put-together album of them all (though closely followed by Ring),
though I'm sure a lot of you wouldn't agree with me.... and seeing as
they're all great albums I wouldn't blame any of you!  It could also be
because OSW was my first Connells album, and so the one that got me into
them will probably always be my favourite.

   Ring is probably the most consistently great in terms of
>individual songs, but it doesn't have any that really stand out.

This is where I have to disagree with you, because there are several on Ring
that stand out from the others like New Boy (obviously), Any Day Now,
Running Mary, Disappointed, '74-'75..... but I agree that it's a
consistently amazing album!

>  One
>Simple Word has three songs that are at the top of my list, but I have
>to agree with Mike Connell from one of his interviews I read when he
>says that there was something forced about the album as a whole.  And
>then there's Fun and Games, which I really like, but I have to rank well
>below the rest musically.

Fun & Games is a good album, but a lot of the songs (while they're still
really good), seem to lack the substance that some of their other songs
have.  I think the best songs on it would have to be Something to Say, Sal,
Lay Me Down, and (one of my all-time Connells favourites) Ten Pins.

OSW doesn't seem all that forced to me, but then I guess Mike Connell would
know better than I would...!  Oh, and I just want to agree with Dan when he
said The Joke was a great song....

ok, that's pretty well my two-cents for now..... anyone agree / disagree
with anything - feel free to dump on what I said!

Adrienne