CONNELLS Archives

January 1998

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
John Haramis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 13:25:11 -0500
>To me, EcoPaks -- as well as most forms of alternative packaging --
>are flimsier, harder to manipulate, and don't protect the disc as well.
>Also, you can't buy replacements.  In addition -- and this is a sore
>point with me, at least -- there's no protection for the cover graphics.
>It will rub off over time, just like old LP jackets.
>
>Death to the EcoPak!  Long live the jewel box!

All good points, but in my opinion, the CD jewel box is a classic example of
poorly thought out design.  How many CD's do you have with broken hinge
tabs?  All it takes is one short drop to the floor and those things snap
right off.  Instead of all the anti-counterfeiting measures on CD's, the
RIAA should spend some time rethinking a more durable jewel box design.
Maybe a less brittle plastic?  Death to the status quo jewel box!

John Haramis
Midway Music, Inc.
http://www.midwaymusic.com