CONNELLS Archives

February 1998

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Scott Ellinwood <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 12:53:28 EST
<Warning - Graphic Content>

Turn back now if you are easily offended by anecdotes involving bodily
fluids... :)

My strangest ever road trip was to see a George Huntley show in Greenville,
SC. I drove all the way from home in Bethesda, MD (something like 8-9 hours)
for this show. Lee Collins called me in the early afternoon to confirm that
the show was on, and I drove the 8-9 hour trip in 6 hours, speeding the entire
way. I was so pumped for the show that I kept myself on a tight time schedule,
only getting out of the car once (not a bathroom stop). I had stopped to get
one of those way too big sodas with loads of caffeine to keep me going.

Somewhere around Charlotte, the caffeine hit me. Let's just say that my handy
Maxwell House cup (may it rest in peace) came in quite handy. I arrived in
Greenville just as George was about to go on. I had no idea where the show was
and I had never been to Greenville, so I stopped at the first exit from the
highway and called the club (Night Times). I asked them to get a message to
George asking him to wait 10 minutes, and that I had finally made it to town.

As I walked into the club, George saw me and smiled and started the set. In
between sets, we sat down and talked for a bit about how crazy my drive was,
and we had a good laugh over the Maxwell House cup (it was indeed good to the
last drop).

During the second set, Lee and I each went up on stage to sing a song with
George. Lee did the old Elvis song "His Latest Flame", while I sang "Inside My
Head". Needless to say, it was a wild trip and a great time.

Scott