CONNELLS Archives

July 2000

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
William Cross <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 18:53:20 -0600
Hi all,

While I am not in the industry, I do remember some discussion of this sort
of thing in articles on several different bands.  If I remember correctly,
a year or so ago, Martin Zellar was talking about the same thing and he
estimated it would take selling 2,000-5,000 CDs for him to break even
assuming that he produced the music himself and I also think he has his
own studio.  This would not include any paid advertising nor any touring.
On a label owned by someone else, it takes about 50,000-100,000 sold to
break even the difference being that the label takes its cut, but also
advertises the release and puts money into the band touring and pays for a
producer.  The way you made money when on a label is by touring.

So to me this seems to have both good and bad points.  You cut the
overhead but probably will only sell to your dedicated fans.  It would be
difficult to tour in any sort of style so either you only play locally or
you bring the old Econoline van out of mothballs.  Thus, I will probably
never get to see the Connells live again except maybe for a farewell show
because they won't be going anywhere outside the east coast and I can't
afford to go there very often.  Also, the Connells don't have much desire
to do long national tours in any case as they are ancient in musical years
anyway.

So let's do some analysis for the Connells.  Still Life sold maybe 15,000
copies total (at least I seem to remember something along those lines.
After paying off their costs, each band member makes about $1.40 per CD
sold assuming $10 cost for the CD and an equal disbursement of the money
to each of the 7 band members.  Thus, each band member would make between
$7,000 and $15,000 given sales of 10,000 to 15,000.  So to make a decent
living they probably need to play at least 50 live shows a year.  I don't
know what the Connells make for a show but $250 per person is $1750 which
means the venue would probably need 200 people at $10 to want them there.
Conversely a solo artist could make plenty of money without even touring
if they can sell 10,000 CDs with no paid advertising and if they can do
their own producing.  So for the Connells given about 1 show a week and
average sales each member would make about $22,500 per year.  Of course if
they get $500 per person per show they would make about $35,000 per year.
A solo artist could make $50,000 to $100,000 off a CD.  This indicates
that larger bands may be a thing of the past, particularly for people that
can play many instruments and write songs and produce themselves.

Way back when Darker Days first came out, Black Park's distribution was
extremely poor, at least outside the SE.  Hopefully they would be able to
handle a more web based approach as they should be much more savvy after
15 years in the business and they would only be filling requests not
trying to figure out what stores to send the product.

Bill Cross