CONNELLS Archives

June 1998

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Scott French <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 10:45:37 EDT
I just got back in from the show in Charleston and it was fantastic.
It was the 9th time overall, but the first since Ziggy's in
Winston-Salem in Oct. 1994, that I had seen The Connells. The band
seemed in great spirits, and they sounded great.  They did quite a bit
off the new album, which kinda kept the audience sedate, but by
mid-show the crowd was really into it.  We tried to convince George
to sing "Sal" as an encore but the set list couldn't include it (oh well).
Doug really played to the crowd, including a number of female
attendees.  Since Spoleto was still going on, Doug picked out his
"Favorite Spoleto Lady", and "Favorite Spoleto Couple."  He
encouraged people to shag during a few numbers, and even wore someone's
cowboy hat during one number.  Peele was really working up a sweat on
the drums and seemed to be pushing the band by speeding up the tempo
on a few numbers.  The set list included the following, in no paticular order:

Off "Still Life":

Dull, Brown Grey
The Leper
Bruise
Curly's Train
Still Life
Crown
Circlin'

Off "Weird Food and Devestation":

Maybe
Start

Off "Ring":

Slackjawed
Carry My Picture
'74/'75
Doin' You
New Boy
Running Mary

Off "One Perfect Word":

Stone Cold Yesterday
Set The Stage
Get a Gun

Off "Fun & Games":

Something to Say (I think)
Fun & Games
Motel
Hey Wow

Off "Boylan Heights":

Scotty's Lament (I think)
Choose a Side

The only other things I have to add is that I have not heard the new
album yet, I took advantage of TVT's $10.99 promo and have yet to
receive my CD (oh well).  And I also want to say I am happy to be a
new member of this list.  How many members are there?

Scott D. French
Electronic Project Archivist
USC-South Caroliniana Library

"Can't you hear the music playing, the anthem, it's my call"--Lou Reed