CONNELLS Archives

October 1995

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jay Pasquantonio <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 1995 11:10:47 +0000
Well, now that we have introduced ourselves (I just started out, has
this introduction thing been going on for a while, or did I accidentally
start a trend), I am potentially going to start something else: a
discussion.  So, here goes:

Anybody else notice a large percentage of CDs in their collection by
bands that have a sound that one might describe as "contradictory" or
"oxymoronic" (that's probably not a word, but you get my meaning ;) ).
For instance, superficially, the Connells have a "light, lemony pop"
sound, but their lyrics, especially Mike's, are bitter, dark, and
cynical.  This contrast is one of the characteristics that really drew
me to the Connells, and similar conflicts appear in many other groups I
listen to, ie, Juliana Hatfield, The Dave Matthews Band, etc.  Is this a
new thing, or is it just a characteristic of introspective, "thinking
person's" rock and roll?  Keep those email lines humming, servers are
standing by.  Bye!

Jay Pasquantonio