CONNELLS Archives

September 1996

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Tom Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Sep 1996 11:05:01 -0400
jbn <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>It just hit me. How come they never had a solo in their songs? Perhaps there is
>a small one in a couple of songs, but I really can't think of any "great" one.
>I mean, they are quite good musicians, I guess both George and Mike can produce
>something good. Ok, Jimi Hendrix is dead but...
>
>Anyone?
>
>.jbn.

While the Connells aren't filled with flashy guitar solos, most of their
songs are driven by some pretty complex guitar work.  Listen closely to
songs like "Hang On", "New Boy", and pretty much the whole "One Simple
Word" album.  As I think someone mentioned on this list a while back, most
of the Connells' songs are guitar-riff driven - just try playing the songs
with the basic chords and singing, and you find out how much is missing.  I
give the Connells a lot of credit for using their guitar talents to make
the _songs_ better, not the solos.

And as for solos, George has turned out some of the most memorable solos
I've heard - very melodic stuff.  Both WF&D and OSW are full of them.  Go
back and have another listen! :-)

Just one person's opinion....

-- Tom Parker <[log in to unmask]>