CONNELLS Archives

August 1996

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 1996 09:18:14 -0500
In mid-1993, I saw an ad in TV Guide for a service called Rock
Video Monthly.  The idea was that they would send you a new
video cassette (hi-fi, of course) every month with ten new
videos in the genre of your choice for about $3 a tape (plus
about another $3 S&H).  They also ran a mail-order CD business --
the idea, of course, was that the videos would hook you on
a band and you would order the CD from them.

I never bought any CDs from them, but I did subscribe to the
"alternative" video series (needless to say, some of the videos
were less or more alternative than others).

The March 1994 issue had the video of "74-75" on it.  I had
never heard of the Connells, but most of the tapes had at
least one vid by a band I'd never heard of.  That video really
hooked me, though.  I kept watching it over and over.  It
really seemed to complement the song.  I went out and bought
the *Ring* cassette.  Oddly, I didn't warm up to it right
away.  I guess I was too taken aback by how different most of
their songs were from what I'd been expecting.

Well over a year later (I think it was this month last year, in fact),
I found a used copy of the CD in a store and bought it on impulse.
For some reason, presumably other than sonic ones, I began to like
it better.  Not long thereafter, I discovered the Web page and from
there, this list.  Being on this list is really what converted me
from a listener to a Fan.  The enthusiasm of the other Fans was
infectious.  I went out and bought the other five CDs and began to
listen to them closely.

And voila!  Here I am.  I've been on this list for slightly over
a year.  And I still haven't seen them live!  AAUUGGHH!!

--Steve