CONNELLS Archives

August 1996

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Adam Shore <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 13:04:05 -0400
Hi all.  The band will be doing a nationwide tour, which like all Connells
tours will most likely last for 6-8 months.  It will begin in late Sept or
early Oct, they will definitely head out west and to Canada, and all their
regular stops as well.  When it's finished being booked, I'll let you know.

As for our fun little topic:  Yes the Connells were up for a contract
renewal between One Simple Word and Ring and there were negotiations.  The
Connells _chose_ to renew their contract with TVT, believing that this is
the best label for them and the label who understands them best.  Have you
ever gotten into a fight with a girl/boyfriend and went out and told your
friends how much that person sucks and then made up the next day?  The
problem with interviews is that they are the thoughts of the specific day
but get read into forever.  People change their minds, things work out,
business is business.

How many of your favorite bands didn't last long enough to record six
albums?  Most likely they had bad record label experiences.  Every Connells
album has sold better than the last.  The band can go into 50 markets and
play anytime for 500 to 10,000 people.  That's pretty good.  So what if
they are not Hootie.  They make a good living, they make lots of people
happy.  It would be a shame if everytime you hear or think about The
Connells you always think about why they aren't more successful.  Make
tapes for all your friends and don't worry so much.  Lots of bands should
be more popular.  And The Connells are a lot more popular than most of
them.

Steve writes, "So I really have to wonder if it's as much a lack of resources
on TVT's part as an unwillingness to use them."  I appreciate yours (and
all of yours) concern, but what could possibly be our interest in not doing
everything we can for our a-list bands?

Steph: don't know what to do @ the Hammerjacks situation.  It has nothing
to do with the band or the label so we don't have grounds to intervene.
It's between ticket-buyers and the venue-- that there is no one to talk to
there is very lame-- maybe go down in person and don't give up until they
treat you with a little respect

jbn: there is no difference between the promo and the consumer item except
the promo was packaged in a slip envelope and without a booklet.

todd: i agree with you, i think out web site is really lacking and I plan
on devoting a serious amount of time on it.  look for a new connells page
sooner than later, i would say in the next few weeks.  i'll let this list
know.

and please call your radio stations and request fifth fret, ok?

-adam

Adam Shore
TVT Records/Wax Trax! Records/Blunt Recordings/TVT Soundtrax
23 East 4th Street
New York, NY 10003
212-979-6410 phone
212-979-6489 fax