CONNELLS Archives

February 1997

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Winston Baccus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 11:50:37 -0600
>That song rocked. Guadalcanal rocks too, in a different sort of way
>than
>the Connells... sometimes more humorous in the lyrics, sometimes more
>spiritually introspective or even spooky. Often more bluesy in the guitars,
>too. During the GD haitus Murray Attaway put out a solo cd called Inthrall
>which was pretty good. Some other bands of that lost era were Let's Active
>and

>Something Happens (only the album "Stuck Together..."- the other one sucks)
>Poi Dog Pondering (not too Connells-like but very good)
>Buffalo Tom
>The Hothouse Flowers (Irish, similar to Simple Minds)

Guadalcanal Diary isn't too far off from the Connells. In fact, Murray
Attaway's voice reminds me of Doug's voice. Unfortunately, all of the GD
albums are out of print, so they're really hard to find. They're supposed
to be working on new stuff. I haven't heard from any of them in a few
months... They're not too good at replying to email.

Poi Dog Pondering is pretty good too. Check out their self-titled album.
It's really great. They got a little less acoustic in their subsequent
releases.

As for the Hothouse Flowers, anyone know when they're gonna release a new
one? I know that they're know a 3 piece, instead of a 5 piece, but I
haven't heard anything from them in a while.

|      winston baccus                 <mailto:[log in to unmask]>    |
|      tuscaloosa, al                 <http://winston.tusc.net>     |
|       check my site for info on: my band, ham; Guadalcanal        |
|            Diary, Javaweb, Dakoda Motor Co. and more!             |