CONNELLS Archives

May 1996

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 May 1996 09:13:06 -0500
WARNING -- No Connells Content

Perhaps it would help people on this list if those of us
who are aware of frequently recurring "Internet legends"
(i.e., the cyberspace version of urban legends) posted them
here so people will not be so easily taken in by hoaxes and
other tiresome flotsam on the 'net.

In addition to the immortal Good Times Virus scam, I have
been taken in by or heard about, at one time or another, the
following:

(1) a forwarded message from schoolchildren who are conducting
    a Science Fair project to see how many e-mail messages
    they can receive within two weeks by sending out two
    messages initially asking the recipients to reply and
    then forward the message to all their friends asking them
    to do the same.

(2) the story of the terminally ill child whose dying wish is
    to get into the Guiness Book of World Records as having
    received the most of one of the following: (a) postcards,
    (b) business cards, or (c) e-mail messages (I personally think
    I have a shot at getting into Guiness as having received the
    most "Good Times Virus" warnings in the shortest amount of time).

In addition, I would caution anyone to beware of forwards or other
e-mail of this general FORM, regardless of the specifics of the content.
The two hoaxes mentioned above, for instance, each conform to the
general Pyramid pattern, i.e. they rely on the victims of the scam
to help perpetuate it by forwarding the bogus messages to their friends.

Hope this helps.

--Steve