CONNELLS Archives

January 1996

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
John Haramis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 1996 08:26:04 +0500
>I've been a Connells fan since 1988 or so, and I'd have to say without
>hesitation that Fun-n-Games is their worst album by far.  For one, George
>Huntley (or whatever his name is) sings almost half of the tracks on the
>album - Doug McMillan' voice is the strength of the group.  Also George's
>tracks tend to be a lot more 70's folky.
>
>While their debut Darker Days has some excellent tracks (title track), I
>actually think Ring is their best overall album.  It has a few upbeat
>rockers, but a whole string of beautiful maudlin slow numbers as well.  I
>think Ring is indicative both of their 'style' and also shows them at their
>most focused.

For a fan since '88, I would think you'd be more confident of the band
member's names.  While Mike can crank out songs and Doug is the workhorse
singer, I have to say that George can write and sing with the best of them.
I would even venture to say that his voice is as strong and possibly more
melodic than Doug's since he's not forcing his voice all the time.  Besides,
it's nice to hear Doug sing harmony once in a while because he's so good at
it.  Not a single one of George's tracks on a Connells album has been bad,
NOT ONE (at least in my opinion).

Please expand on 70's folky for me with some examples - you may be right,
but a reference would help me decide for myself.  I'll buy that Motel, What
Do You Want?, and Lay Me Down are folksy, but then again, so are Waiting My
Turn, Any Day Now (written by Doug), and Running Mary.  I don't think that
1934, Home Today, Sal, Inside My Head, and Doin' You fall into this category
as easily.

How George's solo album turns out remains to be seen, but I am anxiously
looking forward to finding out.

John