CONNELLS Archives

March 1996

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Steve Schillinger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Mar 1996 10:41:47 -0500
Hey all,

Went to see the Connells at the 930 Club here in Washington DC, and I
have to say that it as pretty awesome.  I was surprised at the number of
tunes off Boylan Heights they did, a real unexpected treat.  I was
expecting a sloppy show, given that this is a warm-up gig, but they
sounded and played great.

Lots of cool things happened at the show.

First, during the opening act, these two dudes in big long coats walked
in front of me.  They looked vaugely familiar, then it dawned on me, it's
Connells.  So then I was on the look out for george because I wanted to
tell him his solo album is awesome.  Lo and behold here he comes.  As he
goes by me, I say howdy.  He smiles and walks by.  Then I say "Your solo
album is great!"  George spins around and is grinning big and wide now
and shakes my hand.  He thanks me and all that jazz and I ask if he's
going to do any tunes off _Brain Junk_.  He says, "No, not unless I lose
my mind up there."  I tell him that he should and that "One Good Reason"
is an awesome tune.  He thanks me again and I let him take off.

Second cool thing: As we're waiting for The Connells to take the stage,
I'm watching the roadies do their thing.  My friend nudges me and asks,
"Doesn't the drum tech look like the drummer from Dillon Fence?"  I take
a look, and HOLY SHIT! it is Scott Carle.  So I start yelling, "Scott!
Scott!  Dillon Fence rules!"  He hears me and looks around in my
vicinity.  I, like a dork, but so what, stick my hand up and wave.  We got
to hang out with them after a gig in DC a few months ago, so maybe he'd
remember me.  After he goes off stage, he walks around to the side and
waves me over.  COOL!  Me and my buddy run over there and start talking
to him.  We ask him about the demise of Dillon Fence.  He says that
Dillon Fence has NOT broken up, buit are only on hiatus, taking a break
and that jazz.  Scott mentioned that he's playing with Kent Alphin, the
old guitarist from Dillon Fence while Greg Humphries is busy with his
Hobex poject.  So all Dillon Fence fans...Dillon Fence lives!  Scott said
it might be a while, but that they have NOT broken up.

And earlier thqat day I heard that The Grays are back in the studio
working on another album.  God what a day!  Dillon Fence AND The Grays
live!

Later, Steve

Steve Schillinger
Lab Manager                                  Web Developer
Computer Assisted Writing Center             Potomac Interactive Corporation
McCabe Hall 102                              Rosslyn, VA
American University, Washington, DC          703-276-0181
202-885-2130

email: [log in to unmask]
http://chuck.acc-lab.american.edu/~steves