CONNELLS Archives

October 1996

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Stephanie Lifland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 1996 11:47:55 -0500
>Sender:       The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
>Poster:       Josh Hall <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Re: Last night's show
>
>On Fri, 4 Oct 1996, Evan Kline wrote:
>

>> In a message dated 96-10-03 13:49:29 EDT, you write:
>>
>> << me random thoughts of the show at the 9:30 club last night:
>>  This makes 11 times I saw them, and would have to say the
>>  crowd was the lamest of them all!  The club was only about 65-70%
>>  capacity, so that may have had something to do with it! >>
>>
>> I actually thought the crowd down on the floor was really into it.  People in
>> the upper deck were sort of standing around, but down where I was (about half
>> way to the front) it was one big undulating mass of bodies bouncing up and
>> down for a number of songs, especially Motel, Fun & Games, Slackjawed, Doin'
>> You, Hey You, and Try.  A good portion of the crowd didn't seem too familiar
>> with the new stuff, which is to be expected at this point.
>
>You know, it's a real shame too. They did a hell of a job on Maybe, and
>people were just standing there.  Hell, People were just standing around
>on _New Boy_ which was just phenomenal.
>
>Josh

You know, it is funny to hear several people say that they were
dissapointed with the crowd at the 9:30 Club on Wednesday night.  I
actually enjoyed the show because the crowd wasn't too out of hand.  I have
seen the Connells about 25 times since 1989 (I lost count after 15 or so)
and really miss the days of seeing them and being able to stand right in
front of the band and dance with out getting pushed around.  I was near the
front right in front of Mike at the 9:30 Club and had a great time dancing
during the entire show.  There were times when the crowd was more into it
than others....like others mentioned, but that is to be expected.  The
Connells play a lot of songs that are rather mellow.  I have seen them at
the Boathouse in Norfolk many, many times and in the past few years the
crowd has taken to moshing (and LOTS of pushing), which just doesn't seem
to be appropriate for the music.

So like I said, I thought the show at the 9:30 Club was enjoyable.

Just my opinion!

Steph