CONNELLS Archives

June 1998

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Stephen Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 14:46:13 -0400
Stephen Brown here. 24-yr-old Connells fan in Atlanta.

I thought I'd throw some new fodder into the mix, since we haven't explored
any new questions in a while.

1)  Is there anyone on the list who DOESN'T like the Still Life album? (I,
of course, love the album, but I'd be curious to know how others feel it
falls into the album continuum). I'd love to hear some constructive
comments, especially since the band is so jazzed about getting back in the
studio and making their next album (a sentiment they usually wouldn't
express until 2-3 years later!)

2) Is there anyone who can pinpoint 3-5 thematic elements that ring true of
any Connells song? For instance I often hear of the "chiming guitars" and
"melancholy, cynical lyrics put to a Southern jangle-pop beat" -- What else
do people on the list find to be so compelling about Connells songs?

3) Is there anyone else who feels that, for better or worse, every Connells
album sounds completely different -- perhaps due to different producers?
(One Simple Word has so many different background instruments; Weird Food
incorporates a harder edge and sing-speak; Still Life has more of a mellow,
country feel to some tracks; Boylan has an evocative, almost Gallic feel at
times; sounds on Darker seem to come from a cavern of melancholy with Doug
and his deep voice; Fun & Games and Ring are pretty close in their jangly,
anthematic, guitar-based sound)

4)  What IS with the Appomattox reference? And Boy Island? Has anyone asked
the band to elaborate?

5)  Is there anyone who, like me, can directly correlate life experiences
to particular Connells albums they played at that point in their lives.
(For instance, Ring reminds me of college, Darker Days reminds me of a bad
traveling salesman job I had for two weeks in which I listened to the album
every day on the road, Weird Food reminds me of my first job, etc.)

6) What does Mike Connell's twin brother do?

7) Although I love them, does anyone feel that George Huntley's songs on
Still Life were more like his solo CD Brainjunk than anything the Connells
have ever done?

8)  Does anyone have an explanation for each album's cover art? I am
intrigued by why they have chosen certain images (including the New Boy EP)
and why both of their recent albums include photos of the band on the
front.

9)  Since TVT does so many soundtracks, is there any way we can get more
Connells songs in movies? PCU, Heavy, Scream and the upcoming Dead Man's
Curve are simply not enough for me. I want their songs booming in every
appropriate film possible!

10) What's your favorite and least favorite Connells song?

I hope I don't inspire too many answers, but these were the things on my
mind immediately after lunch today.  Keep up the great Connells fandom
guys! The more people hear, the more they will love!