CONNELLS Archives

August 1996

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 1996 14:22:14 -0500
[Warning -- long post -- skip or save it if you're busy]

Some thoughts on the ongoing fracas...

Brett's right in that it's cool for Adam to be on the list and
participate.  We look forward to getting valuable information
from him and would hate to see that source dry up because of
perceived hostility.  Hell, we don't want to chase ANYBODY off,
whether they have info for us or not.

At the same time, it was Adam who came forward as a representative
of TVT.  We did not smoke him out -- he volunteered information.
Adam obviously realizes, even if Brett and Paul do not, that in doing
so he makes himself fair game for hard questions.  I don't think
Sean is out of line for asking for specifics.  Maybe he really and
truly wants to put his mind at rest regarding the question of what
TVT is doing to promote The Connells, and is not just trying to
give Adam shit, as Brett and Paul seem to think.

Adam, while you've done a good job of answering questions, and seem
sincere in your support for TVT, you must understand that the
way you've (perhaps accidentally) chosen to phrase certain responses
lends a slightly whiny quality to what you're saying.  Don't take
people to task for sounding vehement when they state their opinions.
This is the Internet, for crying out loud, not the Ladies' Auxiliary
Quilting Bee.  It's the Last Frontier, you know?  People aren't
primarily concerned about warm fuzzies, but about spirited debate
and frank exchange of opinions.  I recently investigated a list similar
to this one for another artist I like a lot, but the list administrator's
pre-signup guidelines struck me as kind of wussy, a la "Please always
strive to find positive things to say and avoid controversy", so I
skipped it for that reason.  Nothing we say about TVT should be taken
by you as personally directed against you, but we do have opinions,
and we're going to express them.  Please try to skip the condescending
remarks like, "So much venom..." and "I do wish it was the band's music
that inspired you to post so enthusiastically..." as if Sean were not
allowed to feel strongly about anything except the band's music, or as
if righteous indignation were a bad thing.  Other than that, we welcome
your rebuttals and anything else you want to say.

Lastly, I wonder if this theme's usefulness has not pretty much been
exhausted.  Adam's not going to change his mind, we're not going to
change ours, and yet, the world still continues to turn on its axis.
I for one would like to hear some more impressions about the new album.

--Steve