CONNELLS Archives

August 1996

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Allen, Mike" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 1996 12:20:00 -0500
I've had the opportunity to listen to the new CD over the past three weeks (I
got an advance promo copy) and quite honestly, it took a few listens before I
warmed up to it.  My first impression was that it is a very uneven record,
and it may strike a few people that way.  There is definitely  a harder
edge on several of the cuts, but there are also some nice ballads-type stuff
as well.  I wish they had include some George material, but they didn't.
Bottom line is they*didn't break any new ground, but they did what they've
been doing for the past 12 years very well.  With their style of playing, and
Doug's style of singing, I don't know how much they COULD deviate from the
"Connell" sound without prompting a few "oh they're purposely trying to sound
different" comments.  I think if you like the Connells, you'll like the new
CD.  However, I think Ring or Fun & Games are probably better introductions
for the uninitiated.  Just my 2 cents.  Mike.