CONNELLS Archives

July 1995

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Dana McCall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 1995 17:02:03 -0400
> 1.  Can we expect any changes with the Connells given their European success?
>  Maybe more US success?  Different management strategies?  Less touring in
> the US?

Isn't it interesting that Darker Days, their most "European" album is so
vastly different than the successful Ring? What a paradox!

> 6.  Does anyone have any info on the band Johnny Quest that Peele was in
> before the Connells?  I know nothing about this band?

Johnny Quest was a hard drivin' funk band. They sounded the most like the
Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Stone Cold Bush". They covered a few songs:
"Fire" (Hendrix) and "Ace of Spades". I never saw Peele in JQ, but I did
follow them closely after he was replaced by Bill Ladd. (The Pressure
Boys split up to form parts of JQ and the Sex Police. PB's drummer was B.
Ladd's brother, who recently played drums on tour for Suzanna Hoffs of
Bangles' fame). The JQ demise came when the bands van had a serious wreck
coming back from Atlanta. Bill had to go through much physical therapy to
get full range of motion in his legs. Jack Campbell, the bass player
(phenominal), opened a Poindexter Records in Wilmington, NC, adding to
his current Durham store. (Cool store).
   For a while, the JQ singer, Joe Farmer, lived with Mike Connell. Mike
got married, and lives in the house formerly occupied by one of my best
friend's (Caroline Frye) father's house. She actually was booking the Sex
Police for a while, but now runs Revolution Managment Co., a music PR
firm in Athens. BTW- look out for band she's promoting such as Peat Moss,
Grendel, Jackopierce, James Hall, and Deus (recently seen on Beavis and
Butthead).
   Sounds like Peele made the right decision! I have the funniest picture
of Peele from 10th or 11th grade. When I get back to Raleigh, I'll scan
it in. If someone can tell me where to send it, we could post it on the
web page. I also have Doug McMillan's from 5th grade at St. Timothy's school.
Doug was always a big swimmer in Jr high and high school.
   Also of note: Mike C. has a twin brother - IDENTICAL - named John who
is a lawyer in Raleigh. Any time he goes out to Durham Bulls games, etc.,
people are always pointing and asking him for autographs. Mike also went
to law school at UNC, but is currently busy with other "lesser" endeavors!