CONNELLS Archives

October 1996

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Kevin Ring <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 1996 13:58:13 -0400
My, what a show it was.  sorry this took so long (if anyone cares) I wrote
it the night of the show and have forgotten to send it.

It all started with Kevin Corbett (who's also on the list) and his roomate
Mike and I looking for a place to eat near the Attic, where the show was.
We looked in the window of some resturant that I can't remember the name of
and I'll be damned, but the band had just sat down over in the corner.
Unable to pass up such a great opportunity, we jumped inside and sat down
at the table next to the guys.  As we sat down, the waitress asked if David
if we were with them, they said "no" (damn!), but I looked over and said,
"we are going to the show, so if you want to pick up the tab..."  they
chuckled and we went about our business.  We didn't bother them anymore
until we saw Peele and Doug sitting down at the bar, at which time we asked
George, "did we take their table?"  We felt kinda bad about this, but
evidently they sit at the bar every time they go out to eat, so we were cool.

I really regret not starting a conversation with them in the resturant, but
I just didn't feel right inturrupting their dinner to try to talk to them.

After we left, we went over to the club.  The first band went on right at
10:30.  They were really good.  Very guitar heavy, which I thought was
funny considering all the talk on the list recently about how the connells
are almost solo-less.  These guys had a solo for every song.

They finished up about 11:15 and took down their stuff.  12:00 on the dot,
the connells took the stage.  They opened with maybe, then they played
fifth fret.  I don't remember much of the set list after that, but they
played a good bit of WFAD and Ring stuff at the begninning and as the set
went on, they moved into the older stuff.  They played Scotties Lament,
Choose a side, Get a Gun, Fun and games, Sal, and yes, the played the
Win-dixie theme for the first song of their encore.

after the show, I hung around in front of the stage, and Peele came out.  I
shook his hand, told him they played well and complemented his songwriting
on WFAD.  He was really cool and seemed genuinely interested in hearing
what I had to say.  after that, steve came out and I talked to him for
about 10 minutes, talking about the 9:30 club (I'm envious, sounds like
that's a great place to see a show) and their show at the brewery and how I
LIKE adjective song.  I told him to tell doug that there was at least one
of his fans that liked it.  steve seems to really dig it too, he said that
people just thought it was too different and just couldn't get into it.  I
thought it was interesting because he compared it to '74-'75 in the fact
that evidently a lot of people bitched about that when Ring came out.
While I was talking to steve, three people came up to me and said, "good
set man"  after I told one of them I wasn't in the band, he replied, "well
I wish you were"  I just laughed.  I told steve that I knew they were going
to play the winn-dixie theme and he said "how?"  told him that I found out
about it one the list and seemed to think it was pretty cool.  As I walked
off, steve asked my name and said he would see me when they came through
raleigh in november.

all in all, being one that had never met anyone in the band before, it was
a completely mind blowing experience.  I can't wait to interview them in
november.

latre all

kevin

Kevin Ring [log in to unmask]
"Hail, Hail the lucky ones.  I refer to those in love" - Pearl Jam