CONNELLS Archives

January 1996

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jay Pasquantonio <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 1996 18:06:27 +0000
Ok, I can hear that the Connells were influenced by classic rock, but in
my head, when I hear the term, I translate "classic" to mean either
"old" or "overplayed" or both.  And I think Mike's vocals are great,
even on "Spiral," since they fit the sense of the song.  Despite the
obscurity of the lyrics, I can't help but love "Doin You" from Ring.  It
is a compelling song, dammit, and I think it makes sense.
        I also have to admit that when I don't read the liner notes, I have a
damn hard time determining who is the writer or singer on many of the
Connells songs.  They have a unity to them, especially _Boylan Heights_,
that makes any Connells song a whole lot more like other Connells songs
than any song by any other band.  So there.

Jay Pasquantonio

True ease in writing comes from art, not chance,
As those move easiest who have learned to dance.
'Tis not enough no harshness gives offense,
The sound must seem an echo to the sense.

Alexander Pope