CONNELLS Archives

November 1995

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Tim Rostan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 1995 10:29:40 +0000
>Sender:       The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
>Poster:       Alfred Newman <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Re: another question....
>
>I'd have to go with:
>
>1. R.E.M.
>2. The Connells
>3. The Vigillantes of Love
>4. Gutterball
>5. Wilco
>6. Son Volt
>7. Michael Jackson
>8. del Amitri
>9. The Vulgar Boatmen
>10.The Waterboys

On the subject of Alfred Newman's No. 9, the Vulgar Boatmen (also one of my
favorite, most-missed bands), does anyone out there know what the deal is
with their two branches (Indianapolis, I think, and -- what? --
Gainesville?)? I've noticed that their CDs credit people from the other
branch, but when I've seen them live, it's always been the same people,
except for a succession of tambourine/shaky-thing players. Is there
actually a Vulgar Boatmen touring the Southeast? Has anyone seen both
branches? How different is the other formation from the one I've seen in
Chicago?

Incidentally, I saw the Vulgar Boatmen's namesake, the painting "The Volga
Boatmen," in St. Petersburg last year. I've always thought theirs was among
the coolest band names.

Tim Rostan
Copy editor
Open Media Research Institute