CONNELLS Archives

August 2000

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Dede Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 09:04:06 -0700
--- [log in to unmask] wrote:
> Personally, I think Fun & Games is the weakest Connells album ever
> released

Actually, I've always felt that about One Simple Word [ducking to avoid
flames.]  I felt like it didn't *go* anywhere, which is the same
complaint I have about Still Life.  Boylan Heights is my fave, of
course, but I think F&G is a pretty solid album.  The alternative radio
station in Roanoke, VA, played the hell out of it when it first came
out--seriously, they were regularly playing 4-5 cuts.

> Anyone who saw the band live during the early
> years has
> to admit that they are tighter now and a better live unit than
> say...1990.

This is true, but what they don't have is the ENERGY.  I don't believe
energy and technical proficiency are mutually exclusive.  Sometimes I
stand there and make that "speed it up" motion with my hand to
Ritter--some of the old songs just draaaaaag now.  I know the
bandmembers are all older now, but shit...Roger Daltrey is in his
fifties (I think) and he's still as active as he always was!

=====
Dede

"You get what you pay for,
But I just had no
Intention of living this way."--The Counting Crows