EMS Archives

August 2004

EMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Laura Mandell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 2004 12:11:41 -0400
Dear All:

As part of my graduate seminar, English 710 Technoromanticism, Robert
Markley, an 18th-c scholar at the Univ. of Illinois, will be coming to
speak on Friday, Oct. 1, 4:00 to 6:00 p.m.  Below is an informal note
he sent me about his topic: I'll send a formal announcement later.
Please mark this talk on your calendars.  Also, I'm having trouble with
enrollments in the Technoromanticism class.  If you could please let your
friends know about it: the title doesn't indicate that it will deal with
the history of the book and printing from Gutenberg on (it can count as
an 18th- or 19th-c lit. requirement).  The course will also address the
digitization of the archive and will introduce students to some fairly
recent and impressive developments (students can choose to put an edited
text on line instead of writing a seminar paper, getting a publication for
their CVs as a result).  Thanks for any help you can give me in drumming
up class participants!

Here follows Markley's informal description of his talk:

I'm going to use as an example [of the effects of the web on teaching and
pedagogy] the new South Seas website at the Australian National Library.
I was the official launch speaker in Canberra when the site was
dedicated last month, and, skeptic that I am, I'm really
impressed.  As I write the paper, I intend to combine
multimedia interests with multicultural components and with
18th-century travel literature--the web site is devoted to Cook's first
oyage (1768-71), and is really worth a look.

Best, Laura Mandell