HUMANRIGHTS Archives

July 2011

HUMANRIGHTS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Judith Blau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ASA Section on Human Rights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jul 2011 12:08:14 -0400
Lovely, Mark.

We can be concrete about this. The human rights researcher who
investigates how to expand the food supply (such as in the Horn of
Africa, where there is now a food crisis) is guided by a paradigm, just
as the Monsanto researcher is guided by a paradigm --- I'd say making
huge profits on the backs of farmers. True, there are ethical and
philosophical questions in the sociology of human rights that require
more elaborate theorizing but for the most part we "can have our tacos
and eat them too" (let's forget the cake). And the assumptions we make
are virtuous and solid - e.g., everyone has the right to food.

Its persuading the American public about our assumptions that I think is
the hard part.