HUMANRIGHTS Archives

July 2011

HUMANRIGHTS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Judith Blau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ASA Section on Human Rights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jul 2011 23:11:33 -0400
Colleagues,

Things are real tough. Those of us have a job can feel guilty. I am the
director of a NGO that is located in a community of undocumented
Latinos. Neither you nor I can imagine how frightening that can be. They
are lovely, lovely people. Kind, strong family ties, and gracious.

But what I write about is inequality. The Gini coefficient is best
explained as the extent to which two people chosen at random have more
or less equal wealth. You probably know that.
The US value is 40.8. Its increasing.
http://www.tobinproject.org/conference_economic/papers/BankFailures_ChartwithComments_Moss.pdf

There is NO European county that I could find that has such a high Gini.
The value for the Netherlands is 30.0 and Norway is 25.8. You can google
Gini and come up with lots of tables. Its complex, but I would argue
that impoverishment and unemployment (yes, the sort we have in the U.S.)
in the context of wealth concentration is a collective violation of
human rights.

Judith