HUMANRIGHTS Archives

August 2017

HUMANRIGHTS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Michael Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Aug 2017 20:59:02 -0400
I want to call out another aspect of Rodney's post, in particular this
passage:

" We all, Moslem, black, white, Jewish, Hispanic, immigrant, rich, poor,
gay, male, female, straight,  or transgendered have much to gain by
preserving our boundaries, but we have even more to gain by building bridges
across the identity divide.  But how?"

This is all too obvious, except I think there is one entry here that does
not belong:  "rich" people do not have to "much to gain" by building bridges
with the other groups, unless those bridges are designed to facilitated the
implementation of immiserating policies without opposition.

My point is that the depredations of the Trump administration, even while
they have generated (public) opposition from corporate leaders, do not hurt
the rich, and – by and large – actually help them to steal even more wealth
and welfare from the rest of us. I think we cannot lose track of the larger
trajectory of U.S. (and global) life: that the summation of all the
atrocities of the last 40 years has been delivering to the "one percent" a
greater and greater share of the income and wealth, and that even the lunacy
of the Trump administration is contributes to this process.