HUMANRIGHTS Archives

September 2010

HUMANRIGHTS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
John Dale <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ASA Section on Human Rights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2010 10:33:42 -0400
I like Yael's idea -- and had intended for that to be encompassed by the title that I submitted, and which Brian G. elaborated on. Perhaps we can come up with a title that allows us to discuss the competing approaches of human rights WITHIN the movement to extend existing, and transnationally produce anew, MEANINGS of human rights practice.

This also allows us to touch on competing understandings of justice (e.g., restitutive versus restorative) WITHIN various human rights campaigns that bring together a variety of social movements. And all of this points to a complex politics of human rights WITHIN the broader Human rights movement itself. NGOs of the Global North vs. NGOs of the Global South confront these issues all the time -- even while working together on a single campaign. Local activists and community development groups confront local NGOs around these issues as well.

I am attaching a short article that I recently published which speaks to these issues more substantively.

Best,
John

John G. Dale
Assistant Professor
Department of Sociology and Anthropology,
Affiliate Faculty for the Institute for Conflict Analysis & Resolution,
Associate Faculty of the Center for Global Studies, and the Center for Justice, Law, and Society
George Mason University
4400 University Drive, MS 3G5
Robinson Hall B, Rm. 314
Fairfax, Virginia 22030 USA