HUMANRIGHTS Archives

September 2019

HUMANRIGHTS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Joanna Tegnerowicz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joanna Tegnerowicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Sep 2019 17:32:50 +0200
Judith,

I don't know if you have already seen the article about this play from
the Shadow and Act website
http://shadowandact.com/heres-why-a-change-org-petition-wants-slave-play-shut-down/.
It contains the link to a petition by a Black woman, Ashley B., who
writes: "As a Black woman I was terribly offended and traumatized by
the graphic imagery mixed with laughter from a predominantly white
audience." http://www.change.org/p/abernalwbrc-yahoo-com-shutdown-slave-play

The plot of the play may indeed seem disturbing: "Parris plays
Kaneisha a woman who takes on the role of a slave who has an 'affair'
with Jim (Nolan), her partner who is roleplaying as a white overseer.
Alana pretends to be the mistress of the house and her biracial
partner Phillip (Jones), pretends to be Alana's well-dressed house
slave. Gary (Blankson-Wood) roleplays as a slave who acts as the boss
to white indentured servant Dustin (Cusati-Moyer)."

Joanna