INNISBRK Archives

February 1997

INNISBRK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Innisbrook Program discussions <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 1997 20:17:07 -0600
At 12:08 PM 2/7/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Amber ...who is a member of the list serv asked me to send you the followig
>question....Perhaps you can post your answer to the list serv since many of
>us are interested in this issue. Here is her question:
>
>I am interested in finding out if many organizations are utilizing the services
>of a "freelancer" for conference development.  More specifically what
>responsibilities are out-sourced and how are you determining compensation?
>Thanks!
>Amber Crowell
>Executive Advisory Foru
>
> Her e mail address is:    [log in to unmask]
>Ralph Elliott, Director
>Professional Development/Continuing Education
>Clemson University
>343 Sirrine Hall
>Clemson, South Carolina 29634
>Phone: 864.656.3983
>Fax: 864.656.3997
>EMail: [log in to unmask] (notice there is only one "t" in Elliot for the email
>WWW URL:  http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~elliot/Sales.html

Dear Amber,

I guess you could call me a "freelancer" since I am an independent planner
with clients.  My rates depend on the client and the tasks involved.

For my number one client, I'm paid by commission on the number of sleeping
room nights used.  This commission is fully disclosed in the contract and
the rfp.>
At this point, my hourly rate for this client is more than $100/hour.
However, this client and I have had a relationship since 1992 and the first
few years were not as lucritive.  Now when I do (find the hotel and
negotiate the contract) is a piece of cake and less demanding.

For my association clients for whom I most everything from mailings to
cleanup.  The rate varies from $15 on up.

If you or others have further questions, please feel free to write me directly.

Sincerely,

Sue Walton>
        Scott W. Walton Assoc.          voice 847-475-0391
        1111 Church Suite 405           fax   847-475-3776
        Evanston, Il 60201              e-mail [log in to unmask]
        USA