MACTALK Archives

January 2000

MACTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
John Moose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University Macintosh Users Group <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 07:37:14 -0500
Simply everybody's got a Mac.com email account...

The MCIS' networking group is very interested in all things wireless.
Joe Simpson is currently writing up documentation for folks who want
to use Airport on campus.

I've been helping with his testing. Some interesting factoids: with
one computer conncted to the base station at 50% signal strength, the
connection maxes out at 500K/s (ftp transfer). If another user
connects and maxes out his connection, both users get 250K/s. If
encryption is turned on, upload speeds drop by 20% and download
speeds drop by 10%.

The connection is remarkably robust. We've been able to connect to a
base station on the first floor of Hoyt from the third floor and from
100 feet outside the building.

We've been very impressed with how easy it is to set up and use.

So, Eric, can you use Airport in Lux, or are you too close to France?

John

>On 1/11/2000 10:05 PM, John Moose ([log in to unmask]) wrote the
>following:
>
>  >Now that everyone (except for Eric "Eurotrash" Case) is back in town...
>
>Hey now! I'm there in spirit! :) I use my Powerbook everyday, and it's
>running OS 9, and I'm "eekman" on iDisk, and I watched they keynote in a
>1.5 inch Quicktime streaming window. So hah! And this one time, at band
>camp... Oh wait a minute...
>
>Is there any AirPort going on in Oxford? I saw the message on the tsr
>list today about somebody taking down an entire building with one of
>them... I love it!
>
>From Euro-land (tee-hee-hee...),
>Eric

>Eric Case         | "Before and after are not now,
>tel: 740.373.0852 |  and only now exists."
>http://eekman.com |  -Cowinde, an Aiel gai'shain
>                   |  "The Fires of Heaven" by Robert Jordan

John Moose                                    [log in to unmask]
MCIS                                         voice  513 529-1427
Miami University                             fax    513 529-9665
302 Hoyt Hall                                pager  513 844-0119
Oxford, OH 45056                        [log in to unmask]
    http://bleuclid.mcs.muohio.edu/users/moosejc/exmachina.pl