MACTALK Archives

April 1999

MACTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Bob Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University Macintosh Users Group <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 14:10:43 -0400
At 1:45 PM -0500 4/15/99, Kent Covert spout forth:
>You wrote:
>> Macintouch is following some interesting DHCP discussion:
>
>> http://www.macintouch.com/imacdhcp.html
>
>> Hope none of this stuff crops up on campus...
>
>I don't believe this to be a problem here at Miami due to the way leases
>work at Miami.  Since most machines retain their IP addresses across boots
>anyway, if shouldn't be too much of a problem for the iMac to assume that
>it hasn't changed.

I haven't read the article yet (too busy to read news... been doing
homework for the past 30 hours or so), but is this specific to the iMac, or
is it just a rehash of the way newer versions of Open Transport handle DHCP
leases? If it's the latter, than the problem would have reared its head a
long time ago if it was going to at all, so we have nothing to worry about.

(Incidentally, Apple actually did things correctly in OT, but it's become
common practice to break certain DHCP standards, and unfortunately a lot of
networks just assume this will happen and don't know how to handle things
properly.)

Regards,
Bob
--
Robert E. Williams, Jr.     | Visit our web site to learn more
President, TriVectus        | about our high-quality, unique