MACTALK Archives

April 1999

MACTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Bob Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University Macintosh Users Group <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 12:19:23 -0400
At 11:17 AM -0400 4/5/99, Eric Case spout forth:
>What do you all do? Check bookmarked sites? Use your own personal start
>pages? Custom navigation buttons in your browser?

A couple of sites I have on my personal toolbar where they're always one
click away. All the others I have in bookmarks, and I need only type the
first four or five letters (since they all start with 'Mac') in the
location bar to bring them up. There are four or five sites I just go
through manually like this; then I visit MacSurfer and hit everything else.
I used to have a custom page, but I found it gave me little if any speed
increase while increasing my trouble. Plus, I like a blank start page, so I
can open new windows quickly (for some reason, the current browers don't
like to cancel page loads--guess they don't check the event queue often
enough).

More important to me is my surfing application. I've found NN to be a pain
for this for a few reasons:

1) It's auto-complete on addresses responds frustratingly slow. I type
t-r-i, and have to actually pause for a long while before it finishes
v-e-c-t-u-s. In the time it takes, I often find myself just giving up and
typing out the whole name on my own. I don't ever expect this feature to
work well, as the newest versions of Communicator on NT also handle it
poorly (although they do the poor job quickly).

2) Only in Communicator 4.5 did they add command-click to open new windows,
an essential feature. I hate to use Communicator when all I want is
Navigator. (Where's the new standalone?!?)

3) There's no download manager!

For these and other reasons, I used to use IE for all my news surfing.
However, I've now taken to using iCab. It provides the news-reading
features of IE that I need (cmd-click to open in new window, working URL
auto-complete, download manager) along with *considerably* more speed and
better handling with a dozen or more windows open at once. I keep IE in the
background, though, for those pages iCab doesn't yet handle very well, as
well as for most of my other surfing.

Finally, there are a few sites that I just Anarchie Pro 3.5 to surf. For
seeing just the links and for downloading things, there's nothing on Mac or
NT that's even close to the speed of this beast (and Kent, it's written in
Object Pascal!).

Regards,
Bob
--
Robert E. Williams, Jr.     | Visit our web site to learn more
President, TriVectus        | about our high-quality, unique