MACTALK Archives

August 1999

MACTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Eric Case <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University Macintosh Users Group <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 22:40:12 -0400
If any of you mp3 fans haven't checked out SoundJam yet, drop everything
and head over to www.soundjam.com!!!!!

It's a new mp3 player/encoder from Casady and Greene. It blows away every
other mp3 player on the Mac. It comes with 3 awesome visual plugins and
an SDK if you want to develop your own. They have a 7 day demo on the web
site, and it costs $50 I think. Sure, that's a bit high for an mp3
player, especially with programs like SoundApp and Quicktime 4 being
free... But those don't encode them for you.

SoundJam also includes CDDB connectivity, so when you plop in an audio cd
it snags the track names from a database on the Internet. And if you want
to convert those cd tracks into mp3, drag and drop them into the
Converter window and click Start Converting. That's it! And they're
already named, so you don't have to name them yourself later on! It also
fills out the ID3 info, which includes artist and album names.

I threw a screenshot of SoundJam in action up on my site:
http://eekman.com/pics/soundjam.jpg

Later,
Eric

P.S. It also supports skins, which let you change its interface around.
It comes with a utility to import MacAmp and WinAmp skins, which really
rock! Its default skin is based on the Quicktime 4 interface.

Eric Case             | "Make it so funky they can smell it."
phone: 740.373.0852   |
[log in to unmask]     |  -Buddy Guy,
http://www.eekman.com |  "Damn Right I Got the Blues"