MACTALK Archives

October 1999

MACTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Bob Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University Macintosh Users Group <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 01:30:45 -0400
At 1:09 AM -0400 10/28/99, Tim Kingman spout forth:
>I think you need to first have MacIPX set to Ethernet. Then it should
>at least find a tree for you. You still have to browse the tree to
>get to handouts.
>
>Tree: MU
>Context: SAS.STD.MU (for S(E)AS majors)
>Log in from the little tree menu, then go to the Chooser, choose
>NetWare. On the right follow: MU, MU, SAS, SASSERVER1, USERS
>From there, just open the drive, students, handouts, teacher uniqueid.

Got it--thanks! My problem was that I didn't know the context to use,
and so was trying to browse to it. Unfortunately, the browse window
is not only terribly slow, but terribly unstable, almost always
crashing whenever a fairly large number of items need to be listed
(which is quite often on this network). It took me a minute to
realize that I needed to select the Binder option in the Chooser, but
after that, I was home free.

>Or from the lab, copy the handouts to your M drive, which actually
>has the NetWare Mac filesystem NLMs installed. No more 8.3...

Ug, I see what you mean about those filenames. At least with Anarchie
(when the web server's running, that is), I can see the full
filename, even though the names are pretty ugly thanks to the spaces
being converted to HTML %20 symbols. I gather, then, that there's
nothing I can do about the names?

Thanks again!

Regards,
Bob
--
Robert E. Williams, Jr.     | Visit our web site to learn more
President, TriVectus        | about our high-quality, unique