MACTALK Archives

October 1999

MACTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jeff Wax <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University Macintosh Users Group <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 00:39:15 -0400
OK, I'm off campus this year.  Obviously, I have to dial into Miami's
server, and I use FreePPP 2.5.3.   Anyway, at the start of the year, it
would connect just fine about 95% of the time, and if it didn't connect
right, I would stop it and do it again, and it would work.  Lately though,
it's only been connecting right on the first try maybe 25% of the time.  I'm
constantly having to redo it.  Sometimes it's just slow making the whole
connection.  Sometimes it dials the number and then there's just nothing.
Sometimes it will dial and start to make static sounds, but then it will go
to a high pitched sound and get stuck.  Sometimes it will do all the static,
then go to Establishing Communication, and get stuck.  Sometimes it will go
past Establishing Communication to Logging On, and then get stuck.
Sometimes I'll get an error message saying a weak connection was established
but it was unreliable and was terminated.

The other day, I ran Disk First Aid on my hard drive, and it did fix a
couple minor problems.  I don't know if they were related.  My connection
seemed to work better though, but now it's being bad again.  I ran Disk
First Aid again, but everything was fine.  Any suggestions anyone?

Jeff Wax