MACTALK Archives

May 1999

MACTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Miami University Macintosh Users Group <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 May 1999 12:02:41 -0400
If you really want to do that sort of thing I would recomend Linux for
many reasons over Be.

1. It's used much more in the real world.
2. It runs on G3 computers so you will never have to switch to the Dark
Side to run it. (If they can get it to work without G3 specs, why can't
the lazy people at Be do it???)
3. It's "multi-user".
4. The telnet and ftp server is much better than Be's which is very
important if you want to access your machine from another computer.
5. There's more help on the Internet if you get stuck.
6. Computer geeks will give you more respect if you know Linux.
7. From what I've seen, the command line has more thing to run in Linux
than Be. For example, Linux has a compiler for qriting your own programs
which is important if you want to explore computer programing. Be has
CodeWarrior, but I've never been able to make it work quite right. I
believe it doesn't support standard input and output calls so you can't
program even the simplest program without knowing Be API functions. Plus
it's not command line based so if you are doing this to learn command
line skills you gain more with the Linux compiler than Be's.

Be is a good OS. If it had more app support then I'd make it my primary
OS. Heck, if I ever could get a full copy of SheepShaver to run Mac OS at
the same time it would be my primary OS for sure!

David Mooter.