MACTALK Archives

February 2000

MACTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Joe Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University Macintosh Users Group <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 12:39:46 -0500
Ryan
At present there is only one way to access Universal Disk Space from
a Macintosh.  You must install the Novell client software (current rev 5.13).
Then from a direct ethernet connection, you can use the chooser to
navigate the NDS tree very slowly.  One of the servers MUSERVER2,3,4 or 5
contains a directory starting with the first letter of your name.  Server
by server search for this directory.  Then open this directory and find
the directory with your unique id.  Use Make Alias to make an alias of
this directory.  If you keep this alias on your desktop you can treat it
just like an ordinary disk volume.
There are unsupported ways to access this space via TCP/IP.  I don't know
when these methods will be supported.
If you wish to access this disk space from a Macintosh via dial-up you are
out of luck intil we decide to support TCP/IP access to UDS.
I hope this helps, or at least reduces your frustration.
Joe Simpson

Joe Simpson 513 529-9671  [log in to unmask]
             Fax 513 529-9665
117H Hoyt Hall, Miami University, Oxford, Ohio  45056