MCUG Archives

October 2000

MCUG@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Mike Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami Computer Users Group (MCUG)
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 18:46:34 -0500
Well, on the simplistic side, Expect will allow you to script keystrokes,
however, it won't "force" it's way into another process. And any sniffer
(i.e., snoop, tcpdump, etc...) will allow you to see what's going in and
out of an interface.  As far as the specific process (particularly if the
input is local), if you have the right privileges, you could try "truss".
But thats if you have access to the process in the first place (i.e., you
are the same user, or can become root, as you would have to attach to the
process), and don't mind sifting through a LOT of output data.  If you
aren't the same user or have root access, though, it's a whole different
ballgame anyway (you would have to hack your access to the process by
exploiting it or the OS somehow, which would generally be frowned upon :).

Sending info to a GUI would be much more complex.

If you need more advanced than that, drop me an email privately and I may
be able to find out for you, but I'd need to know more detail about what
you are trying to accomplish.

--
Mike Jones

* Bob Williams ([log in to unmask]) [10/16/00 14:40]: