MGTDEV-L Archives

October 1994

MGTDEV-L@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
William Weech <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
University Management Development discussions <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Oct 1994 15:24:08 -0400
A week ago I posted a message on the Training and Development List asking
about issues people have run into doing training across cultures.
Specifically, I asked about problems people have had using U.S. models of OD
and management development in other countries.  Below is a summary of the
to anyone who feels that my summary does not do justice to his/her thoughts!)

1.  Carol Bentley ([log in to unmask]) developed sales training for Control Data
that was used successfully in several countries.  She feels that there is real
value in standardizing training around the globe.  She acknowledges, however,
that the cultural background of the trainees must be "harmonized" with
standard practices.

2.  Claudia Morgan ([log in to unmask]) is doing a dissertation on OD
interventions for community-based social service organizations.  Her
hypothesis is that the mores and values of OD as practiced in corporate
America may not always fit for social service organizations.

3.  Rocky Sasser ([log in to unmask]) has done some change
management consulting in Indonesia and Canada.  He feels that it was very
important - especially in Indonesia - to identify the clients' values during
the data collection phase of his projects.

4.  Michael Kane ([log in to unmask]) has done a variety of work
in in the Middle East, Latin America and the Caribbean.  He has found Geert
Hofstede's model of cultural dimensions to be very useful in understanding
cultures.  Michael says that situational leadership, participartory management
and learning organizations are difficult concepts for people from Egypt and
Latin America to understand.  One key to success, he says: show that you value
the culture of the people you are working with.

5.  Michael Giallourakis ([log in to unmask]) points out that
American management theories and practices are based on American middle class
values.  To be accepted in other cultures, we must tailor our theories and
practices to the vales and attitudes in the host country.

6.  Eugene Robkin ([log in to unmask]) poses a question about culture and
hardware.  For example, he mentions that a few years ago many managers in the
US would not touch computer keyboards because they did not wish to be
perceived as low-status secretaries or clerical workers.  While that issue has
largely disappeared in the US, Eugene wonders if it is still an issue
elsewhere.  Are there other culture/technology issues in other cultures that
we should know about?

7.  Thomas Hobbs ([log in to unmask]) has visited more than 35 countries.
From his perspective, American style management cannot be directly implemented
in other cultures.  He says that local values and culture must come first.
Much time can be saved, he suggests, by using a local "translator" to assist
with the process of translating American ideas for host country trainees.
Thomas points out that perceptions of time and ideas about family obligations
often create difficulties when one attempts to do American style OD in other
cultures.

Thanks to those of you who responded to my original query.  I'd like to keep
this dialog going!

Bill Weech
Foreign Service Institute
U.S. Department of State