MGTDEV-L Archives

March 1996

MGTDEV-L@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Georgina Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
University Management Development discussions <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Mar 1996 07:21:16 -0500
At 07:27 AM 3/1/96 ET, you wrote:

>A colleague and I were having a discussion on ways to help indviduals in
>organizations communicate across organizational boundaries for a project that
>we are working on, when we discovered that we don't have a very good working
>definition of what communication is in an organizational sense or what it
>means to communicate.  This may sound very elementary, but it is the truth.
>
>I would therefore, like to prevail upon the group for help in one of two OR in
>two ways, if you are so inclined.  First we would like to know if anyone out
>there has a good definition of their own that would share.  Second, if anyone
>knows of a good definition from an OD/Training/HR guru, if they would share
>that with us as well?
>
>We will be more than happy to share the responses with the group?  Thanks.
>
>Gordon

Very simply stated Gordon, the act of communicating occurs when

a) your message (word, thought, belief, etc.) is sent
b) received by one or more

and the operative function

c) the message is decoded by the recipient such that your original intent is
received.

The difficulty individuals and organizations have and the cause for
breakdown of communication is with the
interpretive filters we utilize in the decoding process..

Our interpretive filters are created from our assumptions, beliefs and life
learnings.
Please consider the filters (perhaps unintentianally utilized) within daily
organizational dialogue.
How is communication impacted with the assumptive filters of gender, race,
age, title/position, written/verbal messages, etc?.

Georgina Jackson

BUSINESS COMMUNICATIONS GROUP, INC.
45 Park Place South, Suite 165
Morristown, NJ  07960